Ethereum Classic [ETC] will host the first trial run of the sidechain & cloud experiment. For this project, the ETC dev team will be collaborating with OpenStack, an open source infrastructure software. The experiment will be entirely based on the proposal designed by the Ethereum Classic team. The proposal speaks about the problem, the use cases, solutions and more.
During the proposal of the Passport Program, the long-term goal was to establish a ‘single unified entrance for member public cloud freemium offerings’, as written in ETC’s proposed mission for the experiment.
Though the statement sounds simple, the technical hurdles to achieve the same are complex. When talking from an aspect of traditional cloud computing, cloud federation is the sound solution. A central federation broker will be required, which will need the assistance of the Open Infra Foundation.
The following are some of the abilities of a central federation point:
- To fetch the information of usage from all the federated public clouds to perform the roles associated with statistics, billing and safety net. Moreover, a lot of free resources cann0t be allocated to the clouds, beyond a certain limit.
- To provide exclusive promo codes that are accepted universally, and track and record their life cycle individually.
- To avoid double spending of a promo code by authenticating each federated public cloud.
It is a commonly known fact within the industry that cloud federation is an extremely difficult goal to fulfil in actuality. What makes it almost unachievable are the legal and technical problems in its execution.
How can Ethereum Classic [ETC] help?
Ethereum Classic was chosen for the first trial run because of the following reasons:
- Recently, Ethereum’s blockchain has been inclining towards the Proof-of-Stake [PoS] protocol leaving the preservation of Proof-of-Work [PoW] to Ethereum Classic’s hand. According to the proposal, PoW is the only mechanism that qualifies for a secure consensus on public chains, making it ideal to run on the main chain.
- Ethereum Classic’s development team is suitable for the project. Moreover, the cryptocurrency is away from the ‘ICO craze’.
- It is till date holding the most significant original features of Ethereum, one among them being smart contracts.
The solution should omit issues in the following ways:
- Eliminating overheads, both legal and technical, while providing a universally approved and exclusive promo code.
- Avoiding double spending of a specific promo code without engaging a central broker as it requires to communicate with billing and other systems of the clouds.
- Tracing the usage details of the promo codes without contacting a central broker.
- Lastly, following all the above methods in an efficient way to save energy and laptop-friendly way.
- The problems mentioned can only be solved with the aid of the blockchain technology, hence, the solutions are suggested likewise.
- A TL;DR version of the proposal exists, which is a sidechain solution backed by the Proof of Authority [PoA] protocol. Here, Ethereum Classic comes into play as a perfect fit to run the first trial run of this solution.
The document also carried extracts on the technical background, PoA systems, token, governance model, etc.